Brutal Silence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The purpose of this forum does not concern you. There is nothing of value to observe here. Just move along sir.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Websites of Interest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guy

Guy

Websites of Interest Empty
PostSubject: Websites of Interest   Websites of Interest EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

The following are all going to be links that I have some level of interest in, for various reasons.

Advance Auto Parts It never hurts to look here for parts first before going to the stores.
Antihumanism My developing thoughts over the years has unknowingly lead me to the realization that antihumanism is a belief I hold. I knew what my beliefs were, I just didn't know there was a name for what I felt.
A.N.U.S.
Ascend-Within
Chinese Horoscopes The mighty Earth Dragon.
Cyanide & Happiness They are usually good for a laugh or a chuckle daily
English to Japanese Romanji Translator Helpful when I'm trying to figure out what something means.
Instapaper The website that has helped me to organize all my various bookmarks/links together.
Moetron Check out the side of the page for a section for upcoming anime releases with release dates.
Objectivism
Objectivism 101: Tools for Living It emphasizes reason and clarity. It sets personal happiness as your goal.
Quotes A list of quotes that I may frequently turn to.
Religious Tolerance - Buddhism Religious Tolerance. Level headed pages, information on various beliefs (I was first interested in Buddhism), knowledge and wisdom.
Rhyming Dictionary It is always helpful to have this around when I want to add a little flavorful rhymes to my writings.

Last edited by Guy on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guy

Guy

Websites of Interest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Websites of Interest   Websites of Interest EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Any further additions may receive their own post and some background, then added to the original post.
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man
as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose
of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity,
and reason as his only absolute. " — Ayn Rand
Objectivism
Objectivism 101: Tools for Living

What is Objectivism?
Objectivism is a philosophy for living. It promotes values like love, friendship, wealth, and comfort. It respects science, technology, and innovation. It emphasizes reason and clarity. It values purposefulness, achievement, and success. It reveres passionate living, and pursing the greatest heights. It sets personal happiness as your goal, and gives you the tools to figure out how to achieve it.

It's through our reasoning minds, and the information we get from the world, that we understand the world. We use logic to sort out any contradictions in our ideas. We try to remain objective, so we can see the world for what it really is, and not just how we want it to be. Reason and thinking, coupled with experience, is the way we learn about what the world is so we can live in it.

Objectivism says you should do what's actually in your rational self-interest. That means you shouldn't just say that it benefits you. You should be able to see how it does. And you shouldn't do things just because you feel like them. Your feelings might not make sense. When people just act on any random feeling, it ends up hurting them after not too long of a time. The consequences come back to haunt you. While you might have enjoyed your actions briefly, the cost is probably too high.

Objectivism promotes the idea that each person should be free to do whatever they want to do just as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. This doesn't mean that Objectivism thinks any action is as good as any other. People can and will do incredibly stupid things that they really shouldn't do. Objectivism draws a distinction between what you should be free to do, and what you should do. You should be free to live your life the way you see fit, even if other people are convinced that it's the wrong way. The law should not try to force people to act morally. Its sole purpose is to promote individual liberty, and by doing so, create the conditions necessary for someone to live his life.

Objectivism says there's no necessary conflict between your mind and your emotions. If the two conflict, your goal should be to figure out which is right. Sometimes your emotions will be wrong, but sometimes they'll be insightful. They may be based on a kind of generalization that you haven't really thought about, but that you react to emotionally anyway. It's possible that your emotions react correctly, while you're rational mind could miss something.
Back to top Go down

Websites of Interest
Page 1 of 1